Bird’s milk cake (Ptichie moloko), Russian recipe step by step
Ingredients For the mass
50 g bitter cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
350g of sugar
130 g melted butter for the cream
120g of sugar
500 ml of milk
75 g wheat semolina
200g butter for coverage
50g dark chocolate
Step by step preparation
- For the dough for the Russian bird’s milk cake, you must mix the flour, bitter cocoa powder, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder in a bowl.
- Mix the eggs, melted butter and sugar in another bowl.
- Pour in the mixture of dry ingredients little by little and stir with a spatula until you obtain a homogeneous paste.
- Pour this mixture into a circular mold covered with greased parchment paper and place in a preheated oven at 180°C for 40 minutes.
- Wash the lemon and place it in a glass container. Cover with hot water and when the water has cooled, grate the skin, peel it and cut the pulp into pieces.
- Blend the zest, sugar and lemon pulp.
- Pour the milk and wheat semolina into a pot and stir with a wooden spatula. Take to the fire and cook until it thickens.
- Blend this cream with the lemon juice and reserve.
- Beat the butter until creamy and mix with the previous preparation.
- Cut the chocolate cake in half and place a layer of cake in the same mold in which you cooked it. Remember to put parchment paper on the base. Cover with the lemon cream and place the second layer of chocolate cake on top. Bake at 180°C for 60 minutes.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a bain-marie and when both ingredients have melted and integrated, spread over the cake. Take to the fridge for 15 minutes and serve.