2 lbs beef chuck (preferably grass-fed), cut into 2-inch pieces
2 Tbsps olive oil or avocado oil, divided
4 Tbsps gluten-free flour, or Arrowroot powder
1 Tbsp smoked paprika
sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste, about 1/2 teaspoon each
4 cups beef bone broth
3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
2 sweet onions, peeled and quartered
4 ribs of celery, chopped
3-5 fresh garlic cloves, chopped
3/4 cup dry red wine
2 Tbsps coconut aminos, Bragg’s liquid aminos, or low sodium soy sauce
1 lb. baby potatoes, halved or quartered
4 parsnips, peeled and chopped
4 Tbsps freshly chopped parsley leaves, to garnish
• Peel and thoroughly rinse your parsnips, carrots, onions, and potatoes.
• Cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces.
• Cut your beef into 1-1/2 inch cubes.
• Season beef cubes well with smoked paprika, sea salt and pepper, then dredge the beef into the flour (or Arrowroot powder) pressing a bit to ensure a good hold.
• Heat 1 Tablespoon of oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add in beef cubes along with any excess flour and cook until nicely browned, about 5 to 7 minutes. Set browned beef aside on a plate.
• Add the remaining tablespoon of oil into the same pan and heat. Add in your onions, celery, carrots, and garlic then sauté until slightly golden, for about 3 minutes.
• Stir in coconut aminos and wine, then simmer until liquid is slightly cooked off.
• Place the beef back into your pot. Pour in broth and add potatoes and parsnips, then give it all a good stir.
• Reduce heat to low, cover and let it simmer on your stovetop for 90 minutes, stirring occasionally.
• You may choose to place your Dutch oven in the oven instead of the stovetop using the oven method:
• Preheat your oven to 350°F.
• Cover your pot with an oven-safe lid and cook for an hour or so until veggies and meat are super fork tender.
Crock-pot/Slow Cooker method:
• After following above instructions to prepare & brown the meat, and sauté veggies, then add everything (all ingredients including scraped brown bits from saute pan) into your slow cooker, then give it all a good stir. I recommend cooking on LOW for 8-10 hours for best flavor.
Instant Pot method:
• After following above instructions to cut and flour your meat and prepare vegetables then, add 1 Tablespoon of oil to the instant pot and turn on the saute function. When the oil starts to sizzle add your prepared meat.
Leave a Comment