TALL AND SPONGY CAKE 😋
- Advertisement -
250 grams of flour
250 grams of sugar
8 grams of yeast
Zest of 1 lemon
37 ml of water
1 teaspoon vanilla
a pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 170ºC
- Separate the whites from the yolks and, when beating the whites, add a little salt to enhance their flavor.
- We can mount the egg whites with a stick mixer, manually or by machine, it doesn’t matter.
- When the egg whites have whitened, add half the sugar and continue beating until stiff.
- In a bowl, add the egg yolks, sugar and the mixture of water and oil, the same amount of both.
- Also add a tablespoon of vanilla essence and the lemon and orange skin, the skin is optional, you can add it to taste.
- With a whisk, beat until well incorporated.
- Next, add the sifted flour and baking powder to the mixture and continue beating until the dough comes together.
- Add two tablespoons of egg whites to lighten the mixture and stir.
- Once the whites are incorporated, add the rest and continue mixing, little by little, stirring gently.
- It is very important to make enveloping movements because it will give our cake the desired softness.
- In a 20 cm diameter x 10 cm high mold, with a little butter or flour to facilitate unmolding, pour the dough little by little into the mold.
- Hit the bowl several times on the table so that the air bubbles come to the surface.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 170ºC, with the tray in front of the centre, for 55 minutes.
- It is important not to open the oven during the first 45 minutes.
- After 50 minutes, we check with a toothpick if our cake is ready, when the toothpick comes out dry, we will know that our cake is done.
- Once our basic cake is baked, we take it out of the oven and take it out of the mold: we turn it over and carefully let it fall.
- We only have to let our sponge cake cool and enjoy it.