Meat in wine in a pressure cooker
Meat in wine is a classic dish that combines slow-cooked meat, red wine, and aromatics for a deep, tender flavor. Preparing it in a pressure cooker speeds up the process, resulting in delicious, tender meat in much less time. It’s a perfect option for a comfort meal.
• 1 kg beef (such as loin, chuck, or stew meat), cut into medium pieces
• 2 tablespoons of olive oil
• 1 large onion, chopped
• 2 cloves of garlic, minced
• 2 carrots, peeled and cut into thick slices
• 2 sticks of celery, cut into slices
• 200 ml of red wine
• 400 ml of meat broth
• 2 bay leaves
• 1 sprig of thyme (or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme)
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 2 tablespoons of flour (optional, to thicken the sauce)
Before preparing meat in wine in a pressure cooker, be sure to sear the meat in hot oil to enhance its flavor and texture, and don’t forget to add aromatic ingredients such as onion, garlic and herbs to enhance the taste of the final dish.
- Heat the oil in the pressure cooker over medium-high heat. Add the meat and brown the pieces on all sides until well browned. This will help seal in the juices and flavor the meat. Remove the meat from the pot and set it aside.
- In the same pot, add the chopped onion and garlic. Cook until golden and fragrant, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the carrots and celery, and sauté for another 2-3 minutes.
- Return the browned meat to the pot and mix well with the vegetables.
- Pour the red wine into the pot and cook for a few minutes, scraping the bottom to loosen any browned bits that may be stuck.
- Add the meat broth, bay leaves, thyme, salt and pepper to taste.
- Close the pressure cooker according to the manufacturer’s instructions and pressure cook for approximately 30-40 minutes, or as needed for the meat to be tender.
- Once the meat is cooked and the pot has been safely depressurized, check the consistency of the sauce. If you want the sauce to be thicker, you can mix 2 tablespoons of flour with a little cold water to make a paste and then add it to the pot. Cook over low heat until the sauce thickens.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary. You can add more salt and pepper if necessary.
- Serve the meat with mulled wine, accompanied by mashed potatoes, rice or pasta, and enjoy this delicious dish. Remember to follow the safety instructions for your pressure cooker and be careful when opening it after cooking. Enjoy!