Puff pastry cones filled with pastry cream
Cones filled with pastry cream are delicious desserts of European origin. They are made of crispy cones of baked dough, generously filled with smooth, sweet custard. This combination of textures and flavors creates a unique experience that captivates the palate.
For the cones:
• 12 sheets of puff pastry (you can find it in the frozen section of the supermarket)
• 1 beaten egg (for brushing)
For the pastry cream:
• 2 cups of milk
• 1 vanilla bean (or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract)
• 4 egg yolks
• 1/2 cup of sugar
• 1/4 cup cornstarch
• A pinch of salt
Once you have gathered all the ingredients on your work surface, it is time to make these exquisite puff pastry cones filled with pastry cream.
Prepare the pastry cream:
- In a saucepan, heat the milk over medium heat along with the vanilla until hot but not boiling. If you are using vanilla extract, add it after removing the milk from the heat.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks, sugar, and cornstarch until smooth.
- Slowly pour the hot milk over the yolk mixture, whisking constantly to prevent the yolks from cooking.
- Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens to the consistency of cream. This will take a few minutes. Remove from heat and reserve. Prepare the cones:
- Preheat the oven following the directions on the puff pastry package.
- Cut the puff pastry sheets into triangles. Roll each triangle from bottom to tip, forming cones. You can use molds or just roll them by hand.
- Arrange the cones on a baking sheet and brush them with beaten egg so they are golden and shiny when baked. Bake:
- Bake the puff pastry cones in the preheated oven according to package directions, or until golden and crisp. Fill the cones:
- Once the cones are completely cooled, you can fill them with the pastry cream. You can use a teaspoon or pastry bag to make it easier. Ready! You will now have delicious custard-filled cones to enjoy. You can sprinkle some icing sugar over them before serving if you like. Enjoy!