Wet ingredients for the cake:
1 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs, beaten
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp red food coloring
1/2 cup hot water*
2 tsp distilled white vinegar
Dry ingredients for the cake:
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tbs cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
For the frosting:
1 container of cream cheese frosting
1. Whisk together all the wet ingredients (*except for the hot water and vinegar*) in a large bowl until nice and smooth.
3. Sift all the dry ingredients into the bowl and mix again until smooth. Pour in the hot water and vinegar and mix until fully combined.
4. Pour the batter evenly among three 6 inch cake pans greased and lined with parchment paper. Bake in the oven at 325F for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
5. Let the cakes cool completely before frosting. Cut the tops off of the cakes so you have a level surface for decorating.
6. Place one cake onto a small plate, add a layer of frosting, and top it with another cake circle. Use the rest of the frosting to cover the cake and pipe a border around the bottom of the cake too. Top the cake with sliced strawberries and enjoy 🙂
Notes: I only used two of the three cake circles that I baked but you can totally make a three layer cake!!! I just wanted mine to be a bit shorter.
One nice thing about only using two is that you have leftover cake and cake tops to eat as a snack