Ricotta cake is a delectable dessert that combines the creamy richness of ricotta cheese with a moist and flavorful cake base. This Italian-inspired treat is known for its delicate texture and subtle sweetness. The ricotta cheese adds a unique creaminess and tanginess, which pairs perfectly with a variety of flavorings such as lemon, vanilla, or even chocolate.
For the base:
100g cold butter
6g baking powder
For the cheese layer:
2 egg yolks
40ml sunflower oil
8g vanilla sugar
5ml lemon juice
2 egg whites
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/360F. Line a 20cm loose-bottomed tin with baking parchment.
2. In a bowl, combine the flour, egg, cold butter, sugar and baking powder. Start by using a hand mixer with dough hooks to crumble the dough and then continue to knead the dough with your hands.
3. Spread and press the base dough firmly onto the base and side of the pan. Poke the base with a fork to prevent bubbling. Transfer to the oven and bake for 10 minutes or until lightly golden. Remove and let cool while you prepare the filling.
4. Reduce oven to 160C/320F.
5. In a large bowl beat the egg yolks, sugar, vanilla sugar, starch and sunflower oil until combined, add ricotta and continue beating until smooth.
6. In another bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form, add lemon juice and continue beating until stiff. Transfer the peaks to the bowl with the cheese mixture and stir gently to combine.
7. Pour over the prepared base and bake for 45-50 minutes. Once the cheesecake is ready, turn off the oven and open the door. Let the cheesecake cool for about 1 hour, then remove the cheesecake and cool completely before removing from the tin.
8. Decorate with icing sugar and strawberries, cut and enjoy!