Arequipe Milhojas is a delectable dessert that hails from Latin America, particularly popular in Colombia. This sweet treat consists of layers of crispy puff pastry, generously filled with arequipe, a rich and creamy caramel-like sauce made from sweetened condensed milk.
1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
1 1/2 cups of milk
1/2 cup of sugar
a pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons cornstarch
3 egg yolks, beaten
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup of arequipe or dulce de leche
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Prepare 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
3. Cut the pastry dough into 3 strips along the folding marks. Place on a baking sheet and make a couple of holes in each dough with a fork. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Let it cool on a rack.
4. In a medium saucepan, place the milk and bring to a simmer. Meanwhile, in a small bowl whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, and salt.
5. Gradually add the cornstarch mixture to the milk and cook, stirring frequently, for about 6 minutes or until thickened. Beat the yolks and cook for 2 more minutes, stirring frequently.
6. Add vanilla extract and butter, and remove from heat.
7. Let cool to room temperature, cover and refrigerate until ready to use.