Argentine empanadas are a beloved culinary delight in Argentina and beyond. These savory pastries consist of a delicate, flaky dough filled with a variety of ingredients, making them a versatile and delicious snack or meal. Traditional fillings often include seasoned ground beef, onions, olives, hard-boiled eggs, and spices, creating a flavorful and hearty combination.
For the Argentine empanada dough:
500 gr. wheat flour
1 egg yolk
60 gr. of butter
½ teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon oil
120 ml milk
Salt to taste
For the filling of the Argentine empanadas:
300 grams of coarsely minced beef, ideally cut with a knife
1 medium onion chopped
2 boiled eggs cut
2 tablespoons pitted green olives cut into slices
½ teaspoon ground cumin
20 grams of raisins
1 pinch of sugar
1 pinch of salt
1 pinch of pepper
2 tablespoons of oil
1 beaten egg
Preparing the dough:
1. In a container, place the flour in the shape of a volcano, in the center add the chopped butter, egg yolk, oil, sugar and salt, knead.
2. As you knead, add the milk little by little while continuing to mix until you obtain a homogeneous dough.
3. Let it rest for 15 minutes in a covered container. After this time, knead lightly and roll out the dough on a previously floured surface.
4. Once stretched, cut circles of 10-12 cm in diameter, set them aside until the filling is ready.
Preparing the filling:
1. In a frying pan, heat oil and fry the onion for a couple of minutes.
2. Add the meat, cumin, salt and pepper to taste, parsley, raisins and sugar. Cook over medium heat until the meat is completely cooked. Remove from the fire.
3. When it is time to assemble the empanadas, preheat the oven to 180º.
4. Distribute with a spoon in the center of each circle of dough.
5. Add to each empanada a quarter of a boiled egg and two olives cut into slices. You can place 1 whole olive for each empanada, be careful with the stone!!
6. Fold the empanadas and seal the edges with the tips of a fork or by hand.
7. Once we have all the empanadas formed, brush them with beaten egg and put them in the oven where we will have them for 30-40 minutes at 180º C, or until they turn golden brown.