Castella cake, originating from Japan, is a delectable sponge cake known for its distinct texture and simplicity. Made with basic ingredients like eggs, sugar, flour, and honey, this cake boasts a light and fluffy consistency. Its sweetness is subtle, allowing the delicate flavors to shine through.
– 6 large eggs
– 200 g of sugar
– 200 g of wheat flour
– 2 tablespoons of honey
– 2 tablespoons of milk
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and prepare a rectangular mold measuring about 22×12 cm, lining it with baking paper.
2. In a large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar until foamy and light in color. This may take approximately 10 minutes.
3. Add the honey and milk to the mixture and beat everything together until well incorporated.
4. Sift the flour over the egg and sugar mixture, then mix gently with a spatula. Make sure there are no flour clumps, but avoid over-beating to maintain fluffiness.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and tap the pan lightly on a flat surface to remove any air bubbles.
6. Bake for approximately 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
7. Once baked, remove the cake from the oven and let it cool in the pan for a few minutes. Then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
And that’s it! Now you can enjoy your delicious Castella sponge cake. You can cut it into slices and serve it as a dessert or snack.