HOMEMADE BERLINAS 😋
1 envelope of baker’s yeast (5.5 gr) or 20 gr of fresh brewer’s yeast in paste
250 cc of lukewarm milk
500 gr flour
2 tablespoons of sugar
orange blossom water
just a pinch of nutmeg
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp salt
icing or powdered sugar for dusting
- Mix 1 sachet of baker’s yeast (5.5 gr) notice that the powder is grey, it’s not white, watch out for lice! You can put 20 g of fresh brewer’s yeast in the paste too, if you prefer. Dilute in 250 cc of warm milk
- Once it is mixed, add 100 gr of flour
- Mix so that everything comes together and let it rest covered for half an hour
- Then you add 4 egg yolks, 2 tablespoons of sugar, vanilla essence, orange blossom water or lemon zest, a pinch of nutmeg is also good, 1 tablespoon of oil, 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- And you mix all that again until it’s well integrated.
- Finally add 400 gr of flour
- And knead about 4 minutes, until the dough is tender, shiny and not sticky. If you do it in thermomix: 5 sec speed 5 and then 4 min spike in thermomix.
- We are going to need to cut some squares 7 cm on each side (more or less) of kitchen paper, it is not necessary to do this, but it is practical for me to transport it when frying and that they do not deform. We make some buns the size of a ping pong ball. Try to make a very smooth ball. We cover the buns with a cloth, napkin or towel, and leave them in a warm place until they double or more, depending on how hot it is, it can take from 1 hour to 1 hour and a half.
- So far, everything normal, but from here comes the big secret: The oil should not be too hot, my kitchen has up to No. 9, which is the hottest point, and I had the oil at No. 3, it is say when you place a piece of dough and see that small bubbles come out. There must be enough oil, so that they float, and can grow at ease. I put them in with paper and everything, so that the part that touches the paper is the one that touches the oil first.
- Immediately I cover the saucepan, so that they cook, you will see how it begins to inflate like a ball.
- It will take about 4 minutes to brown. Since the oil is not too hot, it will take a while. We uncover. And, we take the opportunity to remove the papers and turn to cook on the other side. Being so inflated and so aerated, it floats a lot, remember that you have to put a lot of oil so that they can float. You’re finally going to make them look beautiful! Immediately to cover it again! and another 4 minutes, until golden brown on the other side.
- We remove them from the oil, and support them on kitchen paper. It can be sprinkled with icing or powdered sugar. And to enjoy!! Don’t eat it hot, let it cool.