Pastry braid with cheese
Puff pastry braids with ham and cheese are a delicious baked appetizer that combines the softness of ham and the creaminess of cheese wrapped in crispy puff pastry. They are easy to prepare and perfect to share on any occasion. Their salty flavor and crunchy texture make them an irresistible snack.
• 1 sheet of rectangular puff pastry (approximately 230 g)
• 150 g of York ham (you can use whatever you prefer)
• 150 g of cheese (you can use cheddar, mozzarella, Swiss, or your favorite cheese)
• 1 egg (for the glaze)
• 1 tablespoon sesame seeds (optional)
• 1 tablespoon of poppy seeds (optional)
• Salt and pepper to taste
Be sure to properly defrost the puff pastry before using it and cut the strips evenly for attractive-looking braids.
1. Preheat your oven to 200°C (392°F) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Unroll the puff pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface. If you are using a rectangular sheet, you can trim it to make it look more square.
3. Place the York ham in the center of the puff pastry sheet, leaving approximately 5 cm of margin on each side.
4. On top of the ham, place the cheese in an even layer.
5. Using a sharp knife, make diagonal cuts in the dough along both sides of the ham and cheese mixture, as if you were creating strips. Make sure the cuts are approximately 1.5cm wide and match on both sides.
6. Then, begin to alternately fold the puff pastry strips over the filling, forming a braid. Make sure to lightly press the ends to seal the braid.
7. In a small bowl, beat the egg and use a kitchen brush to brush the pastry braid with the beaten egg. This will give it a nice golden color when baked.
8. Optionally, sprinkle sesame or poppy seeds over the braid for an extra touch of flavor and texture.
9. Transfer the braid to the prepared baking sheet.
10. Bake in the preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes, or until the braid is golden and crispy.
11. Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before cutting into individual portions.
Enjoy your ham and cheese puff pastry braid! You can serve it hot or at room temperature as an appetizer or snack. Enjoy!